Evan Meyer welcomes David White on this edition of Meyerside Chats. Interested in any of the civic topics below? Please tune in to Meyerside Chats on the Santa Monica Daily Press
David White is the current City Manager for the City of Santa Monica. White joined in October 2021 after serving as deputy city manager in Berkeley where he championed reimagining public safety, including a new model of civilian oversight of Berkeley’s Police Department. Before his time in Berkeley, White was the city manager of Fairfield, CA.
Meyerside Chats seeks to eliminate the “us and them” narrative and toxic polarization by praising those who lead by example, virtuous community leadership, and authentic conversation. The intent is to showcase the humanity in those that take on the often thankless jobs of public service through civil discourse, and honoring differing points of view.
Recorded by santamonicamusic.com
- Some personal fun, well-groomed beard maintenance, and past DJ work.
- The importance of music in our lives
- Creating an ever-improving city culture
- How city staff can bring their best selves to work (e.g. David’s music in the office, and falcon watching at City Hall)
- Infusing “who you are” into the workspace thru building safety, vulnerability, and purpose
- COVID Innovations, changes, and/or cuts we should keep
- Bureaucracy, and how to create a “getting to yes” culture & mentality | 22:00
- Working through polarity at the city, council, and community levels
- Balancing “loud voices” that dominate conversations around issues, with the ideal of true democracy.
- The importance and impressive nature of leadership being involved at the community, neighborhood, and business levels.
- Local government -> where action CAN lead to direct change