The Santa Monica Police Department has released its annual crime report for last year.
Part I crimes were down about 2.9% in 2021. A notable decrease is seen in the categories of Rape, Residential Burglary, and overall Larceny – Theft. However, when reviewing the 5 year data, our city has experienced the following increases:
- In 2021, firearm use in Aggravated Assaults shows the highest number of incidents in five years.
- Non-Residential Burglary shows an increase over the last five years. In 2019, the numbers declined, however in 2020 the City saw a significant spike in this category due to Covid-related closures and the civil unrest on May 31, 2020.
- Auto Parts Theft show a significant increase over the past five years. The increase is largely due to the prevalence of catalytic converter thefts.
- Grand Theft incidents show an increase in the last five years. Notably, trucks and “other” vehicles show an observable increase.
- Lastly, Arson shows an increase over the past five years. More than 40% involve trash and recycle bins set on fire.
— Submitted by SMPD