The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District’s Financial Oversight Committee (FOC) is seeking qualified candidates who can put their financial and/or management expertise to work in support of the school district. There are four upcoming vacancies with three-year terms beginning July 1, 2021.
The role of the FOC is to review significant financial matters impacting the district, to assist in communicating school finance issues to the community, to provide oversight for various district financing measures and agreements, and to review SMMUSD’s annual budget, financial projections, and audited financial statements. For more information about the FOC, its structure, and its work, please visit https://www.smmusd.org/Page/3901.
Ideal candidates will have significant professional finance and/or accounting experience, or a deep familiarity with public education operations and finance. Candidates should also be committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable learning environment for SMMUSD students.
FOC meetings are currently scheduled at the District Office at 7 p.m. in the Testing Room, otherwise noted. Following is the schedule of meetings (subject to change) for the 2021-22 year:
• Wednesday, September 8, 2021
• Thursday, October 28, 2021 – Malibu City Hall, Multipurpose Room
• Thursday, December 2, 2021
• Thursday, January 6, 2022
• Thursday, February 24, 2022
• Tuesday, March 23, 2022– Malibu City Hall, Multipurpose Room
• Wednesday, May 11, 2022
• Thursday, June 16, 2022
• TBD (July 2022) * Please note: This is a Joint Meeting / Study Session with the Board of Education – SMMUSD District Office Board Room, 1651 16th Street.
FOC application forms are available via the District’s website: https://www.smmusd.org/cms/lib/CA50000164/Centricity/Domain/300/FOCApplication.pdf and can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is Monday, April 12, 2021.
Submitted by Gail Pinsker