Trump, facing expulsion, resigns from Screen Actors Guild
Donald Trump has resigned from the Screen Actors Guild after the union threatened to expel him for his role in the Capitol riot in January.
In a letter dated Thursday and addressed to SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris, Trump said he was resigning from the union that he had been a member of since 1989.
“I no longer wish to be associated with your union,” wrote Trump in a letter shared by the actors guild. “As such, this letter is to inform you of my immediate resignation from SAG-AFTRA. You have done nothing for me.”
The guild responded with a short statement: “Thank you.”
Last month, the SAG-AFTRA board voted that there was probable cause that Trump violated its guidelines for membership by his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol siege. Trump, the guild said, had sustained “a reckless campaign of misinformation aimed at discrediting and ultimately threatening the safety of journalists, many of whom are SAG-AFTRA members.”
Trump’s case was to be weighed by a disciplinary committee. In his letter, the former president said he had no interest in such a hearing. “Who cares?” he wrote.
“While I’m not familiar with your work, I’m very proud of my work on movies such as ‘Home Alone 2,’ ‘Zoolander’ and ‘Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps’; and television shows including ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,’ ‘Saturday Night Live,’ and of course, one of the most successful shows in television history, ‘The Apprentice’ — to name just a few!” wrote Trump.
“I’ve also greatly helped the cable news television business (said to be a dying platform with not much time left until I got involved in politics), and created thousands of jobs at networks such as MSDNC and Fake News CNN, among many others,” Trump continued.
On Thursday, the Screen Actors Guild announced nominees to its annual awards.
Losing guild membership doesn’t disqualify anyone from performing. But most major productions abide by union contracts and hire only union actors.
JAKE COYLE, AP Film Writer
Corruption case targets 11 in small Los Angeles County city
A former mayor of the tiny Los Angeles County city of Maywood and 10 other people have been charged in a “pay- to play” public corruption case, District Attorney George Gascón announced Thursday.
The charges involving the 1.1-square-mile city of about 26,000 residents are reminiscent of a scandal a decade ago in the neighboring city of Bell.
Ramon Medina, a former mayor and councilmember, was charged with soliciting bribes, conspiracy, embezzlement, failing to file campaign statements, grand theft, misappropriation of public funds and other crimes.
A request for comment was left for his attorney in a prior case, Anthony Willoughby.
“Public officials should be working to benefit the people, not their own bank accounts,” Gascón said in a statement. “Pay-to-play politics have no place in Los Angeles County and we are all deserving of a clean government.”
The 34-count complaint alleges widespread corruption over a three-year period.
Medina, 61, sought and received bribes from several of co-defendants who wanted to gain favor and do business in Maywood, which outsourced many city services to private vendors, the district attorney’s press release said.
Other defendants include a former city manager and building and planning director.
The alleged schemes include attempts to sell affordable housing redevelopment properties for less than half of market value to a buyer who would build a bingo hall.
Other allegations involve solicitation of bribes for the recall of a council member, use of public funds for construction projects on private properties, directing city staff to void parking tickets for friends and having gamecocks and cockfighting paraphernalia.
Bell, the next-door city, was the center of a 2010 corruption investigation into allegations that officials gave themselves enormous salaries and benefits and illegally raised taxes.
Seven Bell officials, including a former mayor, city administrator and council members, were convicted of various charges.