Local officials announced last week measures to help businesses that were targeted by looters during a protest against police violence last Sunday.
The city of Santa Monica said Thursday that it would fast-track permits and eliminate permit and plan review fees for Santa Monica businesses that suffered damage during the unrest May 31 and need to conduct repairs. More than 250 businesses in the City suffered an estimated $11.5 million in exterior damage alone, according to a press release.
“We mourn the damage to our beloved businesses and are moving to help them recover as quickly as they can,” Interim City Manager Lane Dilg said in a statement. “We will work hand in hand with businesses and the community to recover, heal and move forward together from both the civil unrest on May 31 and the effects of COVID-19.”
Also on Thursday, the Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce created the Santa Monica Business Relief fund that will benefit small businesses that were damaged or lost merchandise last Sunday.
Chamber president Laurel Rosen said Jamie Montgomery with March Capital has donated $10,000 to kick off the campaign, and will give another $10,000 once the fund reaches $90,000.
The Santa Monica Police Department said Friday that it has partnered with the FBI, Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles Fire Department, and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office to create the “SAFE LA Task Force,” which will investigate looting, burglary, robbery, vandalism, arson and assault that have occurred during the uprising in Los Angeles County.