Photo by Madeleine Pauker

Los Angeles Angels player Tyler Skaggs died July 1 when he choked on his own vomit under the influence of fentanyl, oxycodone and alcohol, according to an autopsy the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office released Friday.

Skaggs, 27, was found dead on his bed in a Texas hotel room last month. The autopsy describes his cause of death as a mixture of alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents.

The autopsy ruled the death an accident, but the Southlake, Texas police department is still investigating Skaggs’ death, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Skaggs’ family issued a statement to The Times Friday that said they were shocked to learn that Skaggs’ death may have involved an Angels employee and have hired attorney Rusty Hardin to investigate how Skaggs came into possession of fentanyl and oxycodone.

“We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol,” the statement said. “That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much.”

Skaggs died in Southlake before the team was scheduled to play against the Texas Rangers.

He grew up in Santa Monica, playing baseball for Santa Monica High School in local little league teams, and was widely mourned by the local community. A local artist commemorated him with a mural across the street from Samohi.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *