An apartment fire on 3rd Street displaced an elderly resident but caused no damage to the surrounding area on March 23.

According to the Santa Monica Fire Department, firefighters responded to a call of smoke in an apartment at 938 3rd St. at about 6:38 on Wednesday evening.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a 2nd floor unit, of a three story apartment building well involved with fire. Four engines, one ladder truck, one rescue air unit, one hazardous materials unit, and a Chief Officer, responded to the emergency. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, and were able to confine the fire to the unit of origin.

The fire resulted in the closure of 3rd Street, gas service to the building being interrupted, and one elderly resident displaced. Firefighters assisted Southern California Gas Company with restoring gas service, helping the resident find shelter, and were subsequently able to reopen the street to normal traffic in approximately one hour.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a cooking accident. The occupant was evaluated for smoke inhalation, but was not transported to a hospital. No injuries to Firefighters were reported. The Santa Monica Fire Department would like to remind all our residents to the importance of Smoke detectors, and the part they play in giving us early warning to residential fires.

— Submitted by Dale Hallock, Santa Monica Fire Department PIO / Administrative Captain