A former city employee who was arrested on child molestation charges earlier this year was sentenced this month in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Donald Condon, who worked in the Santa Monica Police Activities League, a city-backed nonprofit that serves area youth, accepted a plea deal during a Dec. 2 hearing at the Airport Courthouse for one count of molesting a child under the age of 18.
Condon, 56, was sentenced to three years of probation and must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life, according to Deputy City Attorney Jenna Grigsby-Taggart.
He is prohibited from Santa Monica PAL and all PAL activities, Grigsby-Taggart said. He is not allowed to attend any volunteer activities involving minors, and he is not allowed near his grandchildren without supervision.
The terms of Condon’s sentence also mandate that he stay away from the victims in the case and all public parks in Santa Monica.
Condon will not serve any jail time in connection with the charges, Grigsby-Taggart said.
“The City is very pleased with the result of the outcome on this case,” she said.
The court proceedings come about a year and a half after a May 30, 2014, incident at Dodger Stadium, where Condon was chaperoning a PAL event. He was arrested by Los Angeles police and charged with “use of a camera or other device to videotape or record another person under or through their clothing without their consent or knowledge and with sexual intent,” officials said.
Condon was later sentenced to 36 months of probation and either 60 days of county jail or 45 days of community labor.
Following the Dodger Stadium incident, however, the Santa Monica Police Department conducted its own investigation, which led to the additional child molestation charges against Condon. The new charges were unrelated to the ones stemming from the stadium incident, Sgt. Rudy Camarena told the Daily Press earlier this year.
Condon was charged in May with five counts of child molestation and arraigned in June.
The date of the crimes in question is listed on the court website as June 2, 2014, the same day Condon was placed on paid administrative leave by City Hall. He is no longer a city employee.
During his time with Santa Monica PAL, Condon was listed on the organization’s website as a community services program specialist. The nonprofit provides educational and recreational programming for children ages 6-17.
Condon was on track to make more than $50,000 in pay and benefits in his role with PAL last year, according to Transparent California, a government watchdog agency that tracks public officials’ earnings. He has also worked as a solid waste and recycling operations supervisor in the City of Culver City’s public works department.
A progress report on Condon’s stadium case was scheduled to be held Dec. 9 at Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center in downtown Los Angeles, but additional information was not immediately available.