Thanksgiving is one of the busiest days of the year for families. The Los Angeles County Fire Department wants to remind residents that safety is the most important thing to remember on this holiday, especially in the kitchen where there is a lot of activity.
Here are some tips to ensure everyone is safe and giving thanks this year.
• Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
• Stay at home when cooking your turkey.
• Keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove.
• Keep pot and pan handles pointed inward on the stovetop to prevent spills.
• Don’t let electric cords dangle off the counter within easy reach of a child.
• Have an ABC-rated fire extinguisher readily available.
• Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
For more information on Thanksgiving safety, including how to properly operate a turkey fryer, visit www.nfpa.org.