A gas leak marred a Santa Monica family’s first night in their newly-purchased home, as a gas explosion and small fire drove them from their beds.

The explosion occurred at approximately 6:15 a.m. on Saturday, July 30 at a house on the 1700 block of 10th St., according to a statement released Monday by the Santa Monica Red Cross.

The Santa Monica Fire Department quickly extinguished the blaze and there were no injuries reported, according to the statement.

The husband and wife, along with their two pre-teen children, were moved to temporary housing in a local motor hotel, as officials feared other possible gas leaks, and structural damages made the house unsafe to live in.

Temporary housing was secured for three nights with help from the Red Cross.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *