DOWNTOWN — Evan Kleiman, renowned chef, best-selling author and host of KCRW’s Good Food radio show, will give the keynote address at the Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce 2011 Sustainable Quality Awards Luncheon themed “Sustainable Food.”
The luncheon is scheduled to be held at the Sheraton Delfina Hotel in Santa Monica on April 27.
The Sustainable Quality Awards were created in 1995 to honor businesses in Santa Monica that have made significant achievements in the areas of sustainable economic development, social responsibility and stewardship of the natural environment.
“The way to empower change in our collective eating habits is to educate the public on issues of sustainability,” said Laurel Rosen, president of the chamber. “At this year’s event we have the opportunity to showcase our chefs who lead the way in offering organic, seasonal foods to their customers and modeling best sustainable practices in the community.”
Sustainable food is a passionate topic for Kleiman, who is a member of the Los Angeles Food Policy Council and the Stewardship Council of Roots of Change, as well as the founder of L.A.’s Slow Food Chapter.
In addition to Kleiman, co-chef and owner of the Border Grill restaurant and Border Grill Truck, Mary Sue Milliken, will speak about the importance of embracing sustainable practices as a business, to reap both the economic and environmental benefits.
Celebrating its 16th year, the Sustainable Quality Awards (SQA), a successful collaboration between the chamber, Sustainable Works and the city of Santa Monica, is pleased to announce this year’s final nominees:
• Gorman and Miller: Services for business litigation and transactions, real estate and franchise law, with offices in Santa Monica and San Jose.
• LAcarGUY: Owner and operator of 10 automotive dealerships throughout greater Los Angeles and the number one hybrid dealer in the world.
• Library Alehouse: Local craftsman brewery that offers 49 bottled and draught beers.
• Lotus East-West Medical Center: Holistic medical center that combines acupuncture, naturopathy, medical doctors and psychotherapy.
• Minarc: Award-winning design studio that specializes in modern, innovative, and sustainable architecture and design.
• Mt. Olive Lutheran Church: A local church that shares a commitment to worship, service, education, support and the arts.
• PS #1 Elementary School: Private school that honors diversity and socioeconomic differences to inspire learning.
• Schaffer’s Genuine Foods: Fine event catering service that supports local, organic and sustainable farms and purveyors for healthy produce, poultry, meat and fish.
• The Yard: Neighborhood “gastropub” specializing in drinks and American tapas made from only fresh ingredients from the Santa Monica Farmers’ Market.
By recognizing local businesses that have thrived through the adoption of more sustainable practices, the Sustainable Quality Awards hope to inspire other companies and individuals to adopt their own environmental measures to help conserve our natural resources.
The Sustainable Quality Awards Grand Prize is awarded for combined excellence in three areas: economic development, social responsibility, and stewardship of the natural environment. In addition, excellence awards will be awarded to businesses with outstanding achievements in any one of the three areas.
Judging will take place at the end of March. SQA winners will be announced in early April.
Pre-paid tickets to the luncheon are $55 for chamber members and $60 for non-members until April 19. Purchase tickets on-line or call (310) 393-9825.