The Santa Monica Police Department is encouraging bicyclists and motorists to work together in keeping the roads safe. Below are some basic road rules.
• Ride on the street, not the sidewalk.
• Yield to pedestrians.
• Wear a helmet. Individuals under 18 must, but everyone else should.
• Obey all traffic signals, signs and pavement markings. For example, cyclists must come to a complete stop at red lights and stop signs.
• Use front and rear lights when traveling after dusk.
• Ride with the flow of traffic, not against it.
• Use marked bike lanes or paths whenever possible.
• Use a bell or horn and reflectors.
• Wear brightly-colored clothing.
• Do not wear more than one earphone, It’s best to use none.
• Get a bicycle license. Register your bicycle with the city of Santa Monica License Division.
• Slow down. The speed limit in residential areas is 25 mph. Also observe posted speed limits on other streets.
• Don’t drive or park in the bike lane.
• Focus on driving. Don’t talk or text on a cell phone.
• Look before you open your door. As the driver, use your right hand to open your door, so you turn and see if a cyclist is coming your way.
For more information or if you have any questions, contact the Santa Monica Police Department, Traffic Enforcement Unit at (310) 458-8993.