Q: My son’s friend just got his driver license and has offered to give my son a ride to school since we live nearby. Both boys are 17 and tell me it’s legally OK, but I suspect they may be bending the rules. What’s the real deal?

A: Your parental instincts are correct. Your son’s friend has been issued a provisional driver license and if he wants to transport your son, he needs to be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older for the first 12 months after he received his license.

Q: My mother is in her 70s and insists on driving herself everywhere she goes! Twice, when I’ve been in the car with her, I’ve had to remind her to put her seat belt on. Does the DMV have some sort of test she can take to see if she is still OK to drive?

A: Most definitely. Visit the DMV Web site (www.dmv.ca.gov) and click on the “Seniors” tab located near the top of the homepage. There you will find a Senior Driver Self-Assessment Test that you can take with your mother.

Q: I really want to become an organ donor the next time I renew my driver license but I heard that it might be costly to my family. Is this true?

A: Absolutely not! Costs related to organ and/or tissue donations will be covered by the organ and tissue donor program, so you will not be responsible for any aspect of the donation process. However, medical care up to the point of donation and funeral costs remain the responsibility of a relative or persons in charge of the estate.

To learn more and to sign up online to be an organ and tissue donor in California go to: www.dmv.ca.gov/about/donateLife/donateLife.htm.

George Valverde is the director of the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *