Q: I was recently in an accident and I was so upset I didn’t think about all the information I should have gotten from the person that hit me. How do I get information on the other party?

A: Each driver involved in a collision where any person was injured or killed, or where property damage to any one vehicle exceeded $750 worth of property damage, must complete a Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California (form SR1) within 10 days and submit the report to the DMV. The report is required even if a law enforcement officer completed a report.  You may obtain information about the other driver from the accident report that he or she submitted.

To request this information, complete a request form and mail it to: Department of Motor Vehicles, Financial Responsibility Unit, P.O. Box 942884, Sacramento, CA 942884-0884.

Also available are the other driver’s insurance information and a photocopy of the accident report and/or certification that the other driver in the accident was not insured (Uninsured Motorist Certificate). A $20 fee is required for each type of information requested.

Q: I’m a senior citizen and recently lost the ability to drive due to medical complications. Where can I find information on acquiring an identification card? Is there a fee for my new card?

A: For customers over the age of 62, the DMV offers an identification card valid for 10 years for no charge. The card looks likes a driver license, but is used for identification purposes only. The DMV will also exchange a valid license for a no-fee ID card to drivers who are no longer able to drive safely because of a physical or mental condition.

Q: I bought a vehicle with a clean air sticker. Is the sticker still active even though I wasn’t the original owner?

A: Yes, all Clean Air stickers remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has a Clean Air Sticker you may transfer the sticker to your name. To transfer the Clean Air Sticker to your name, complete the following steps:

• Complete an application for Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (REG 1000).

• Check the “Replacement ID card only” box.

• If the clean air vehicle is a hybrid and you are a resident of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County, you must include an original Bay Area FasTrak receipt as evidence of a “FasTrak” toll account.

• Submit the completed REG 1000 form and FasTrak receipt to the address on the REG 1000 form.

George Valverde is the director of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *