Phil Brock has pulled papers to file as a write in candidate for City Council.

After pulling papers, Brock posted to Facebook asking residents to come to an address in Mid-City to sign something. He did not elaborate on what he wanted signed but in a conversation with the Daily Press he said the signatures were for a potential write-in campaign.

He said he requested the paperwork to recognize the sentiment expressed by voters.

“I went down yesterday afternoon because people have still been calling and emailing me and they said they want to cast a vote for me even if it’s a losing vote,” he said.

Brock said he wasn’t sure if he would actually file the application but said he was distressed by the tone of the current election and a lack of communication between all parties.

“At the close of business on Thursday, I will either throw those papers in the trash or I’ll bring them back to City Hall and the people who have been asking me to run as a write-in can cast a protest vote for me for City Council,” he said.

Brock is the only person to request the write-in application so far and if he completes the paperwork, he has to return it to the City Clerk’s office by Tuesday, Oct. 25 to qualify for the November election.

Write-in candidates must gather 100 signatures, pay a nominal fee and fill out an application with the City Clerk before they are qualified. The process is similar to that of other candidates but write-in candidates do not appear on the ballot. Voters will be given a list of valid write-in candidates on election day.

If Brock, or any other candidate, files on Oct. 25 they will do so with just two weeks left in the campaign season. In addition, more than 30,000 Santa Monica voters request vote-by-mail ballots and voters have already begun to return those ballots. Early voters do have the ability to change their minds if they file a request with the County Registrar/Clerk by Nov. 4. Voters can call (562) 466-1323 or (800) 815-2666 to request a replacement ballot before Election Day.

Brock said he didn’t expect to win if he did enter the race at this late stage, but he wanted any vote that was cast for him to be part of the official election.

Brock was expected to run for council this year after losing in 2014 but ultimately pulled paperwork to run for school board. He did not file those papers and after other candidates were disqualified for failing to gather the required signatures, the school board race was canceled due to a lack of candidates (Maria Leon-Vazquez, Ralph Mechur and Jon Kean were the only individuals to file for the three available seats)

After being appointed to the Arts Commission, Brock said he did not have time to serve in an elected office.

“However, my appointment to the Arts Commission, an upcoming Kiwanis Club presidency, my work with the Samohi Alumni Association and my career focus would not have allowed me to devote my full attention to our youth as a school board member,” he said at the time. “Instead, my focus will be on continuing to speak out on behalf of our city’s residents when appropriate and focus on a run for Santa Monica City Council in 2018. I will be a candidate at that time.”

BY MATTHEW HALL

editor@smdp.com

Print Friendly