The Pico Branch Library is calling all book works, science geeks, high school honor roll-ees, or anyone with time and a passion for learning to share their knowledge with local youth. The City of Santa Monica is seeking a new cadre of volunteers—from teens to seniors—to help close the ever-widening achievement gap through the power of high quality homework assistance and tutoring.
The tutoring is for children and youth in grades 1 through 8. Here are the requirements to become a tutor:
- High school-age or older.
- Available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Saturdays this fall.
- Can get to the Pico Branch Library in Virginia Avenue Park.
- Adult volunteers will be required to do a background check and fingerprinting.
- Spanish and Ethiopian speakers are strongly desired.
Applications are available at the Pico Branch Reference Information Desk located at 2201 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica. The application deadline is August 11.
– Constance Farrell, Public Information Officer