PUBLIC SAFETY FACILITY — After spending nearly six years on the run, a suspected child molester is behind bars thanks to the work of the Santa Monica detectives.

Camp (Photo courtesy SMPD)

Camp (Photo courtesy SMPD)

Former Santa Monica resident Christopher Carrington Camp, 72, is being held on $2.8 million bail and is expected to be arraigned April 2 at the Airport Courthouse, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The alleged molestation occurred in Santa Monica between August 2006 and June 2008, police said.

On March 12 detectives with the SMPD’s Juvenile and Missing Person Unit traveled to Orlando, Fla. to take custody of Camp in connection with a juvenile sexual assault case. Camp had been evading police since July 2008, when he learned that he was under investigation, police said.

His arrest in Florida was the result of an investigation involving the SMPD, U.S. Marshal’s Service and local law enforcement in the Orlando area..

Camp waived extradition and was transported back to California on March 14. He was booked into the Santa Monica Jail on multiple charges of lewd and lascivious acts on a child under the age of 14.

Police would not release any further details. They suspect there may be more victims and are asking anyone with information to contact detectives at (310) 458-8931.

Those wishing to report information anonymously may contact We-Tip at (800) 782-7463 (wetip.com) or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477 (lacrimestoppers.org).

 

kevinh@smdp.com

 

 

Print Friendly