The Santa Monica Police Department has identified the suspect in Friday’s shooting.

Christopher Charles Davis, 47, homeless, was shot and arrested Friday night by police officers after Davis shot and killed a second man near the intersection of Main St. and Strand Ave.

According to SMPD, Davis is being held in the custody of Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office on $2 million bail on charges including murder, attempted murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm. A case against Davis is expected to be filed on Aug. 8 and SMPD said more information about the original altercation would be released at that time.

Officers responded to multiple calls at about 6:28 p.m. on Aug. 4 regarding the original shooting. When officers arrived, they found a male victim had been shot. The victim was taken to a local hospital but died from his wounds shortly after arriving.

“Several witnesses reported seeing the suspect walking eastbound on Stand Street,” said SMPD in a statement. “As officers were searching the area for the suspect, officers saw the suspect in the area of 3rd Street and Hollister Avenue. The suspect was holding a firearm and pointed the weapon at officers. Additional officers arrived and confronted the suspect. The officers and suspect exchanged gunfire. The suspect was struck by the gunfire and taken into custody. The suspect was treated at the scene by Santa Monica Fire Department and transported to a local hospital for treatment.”

Print Friendly