SAMOHI — Santa Monica High School girls basketball routed Anaheim High School, 65-25, in a CIF-SS Division I-A first round playoff game Thursday at Samohi. The second-seeded Vikings advance to host Crescenta Valley Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in a second round contest. Crescenta Valley is seeded no. 15 in the playoffs. Samohi had the rare luxury of using everybody on the bench during the victory.
Coach Marty Verdugo said that Crescenta Valley is much like his own team and that he expects them to play an up-tempo game.
“If we win this one,” Verdugo said, “we might have a little more success in the third round.”
The Vikings have lost in the third round two years in a row.
• St. Monica girls basketball eked out a 34-31 victory over Ontario Christian in the first round of the CIF-SS Division V-AA on Thursday evening. The ninth-seeded Mariners will advance to take on St. Bonaventure on the road Saturday at 7:30 p.m. St. Monica finished the season third in the Camino Real League.
• Crossroads girls basketball defeated Excelsior Education Center 55-49 in a CIF-SS Division IV-A first round matchup at Crossroads on Thursday. Crossroads, seeded no. 15 in the playoffs, will travel to Pacific Hills on Saturday in a second round contest at 7:30 p.m.. Pacific Hills is the no. 2 seed in the division.
• New Roads girls basketball lost at home, 48-53, to Riverside Christian on Thursday in a CIF-SS Division V-A first round game. New Roads finished the regular season second in the Harbor League. Riverside Christian advances to take on St. Margaret’s on the road Saturday.
• Samohi girls soccer beat San Luis Obispo, 3-2, in a CIF-SS Division III contest Thursday at John Adams Middle School. The Vikings, who finished first in the Ocean League, advance to play Santiago in the second round at home next Tuesday. Santiago advanced by defeating Laguna Beach, 2-0, also on Thursday.
• St. Monica girls soccer needed penalty kicks (4-2) to top L.A. Baptist in a CIF-SS Division VII first round game on Thursday at Airport Park. The teams tied 0-0 in regulation. The Mariners advance to take on Vasquez on the road in the second round on Saturday. St. Monica finished the season second in the Camino Real League. Vazquez defeated Santa Monica’s New Roads, 4-0, also on Thursday.