• St. Monica High School’s boys basketball defeated Milken Community 51-46 in a Division V-AA first round playoff game on Wednesday evening. The Mariners will advance to play Notre Dame in a second round matchup at St. Monica. St. Monica made the playoffs as an at-large team from the Camino Real League. Notre Dame defeated Western Christian, 81-54, to advance.
• Crossroads boys basketball lost to Desert in a Division V-AA first round playoff game on Wednesday. Crossroads finished the season third in the Olympic League. Desert was tied for first in the High Desert League. Desert moves on to face Woodcrest Christian in the second round. Woodcrest Christian advanced by beating Paraclete in the first round.
• Santa Monica High School’s girls water polo team lost in the first round of the Division V playoffs to Fullerton, 9-11 at Samohi on Wednesday afternoon. The Vikings finished the season in first place in the Ocean League. Fullerton qualified for the first round of the playoffs by beating Fontana in a wild card game. Fullerton moves on to face Arlington High School in the second round. Santa Monica made it to the semifinals last season.
Today’s playoff games
• St. Monica boys soccer will face Upland Christian in a Division VII first round playoff game at Airport Park at 3 p.m. The Mariners finished the season second in the Camino Real League. Upland Christian placed second in the Arrowhead League. The winner plays the winner of the St. Margaret’s, Pilgrim game.
• Pacifica Christian boys soccer will travel to Catalina Island to take on Avalon High School at 3 p.m. Winner plays the winner of Victor Valley Christian, Mammoth High game. Pacifica may meet St. Monica in the quarter finals if each win out. This is the first season Pacifica fielded a varsity soccer team.
• Defending state boys soccer champion Santa Monica High School will play Norwalk on the road today in a first round Division IV playoff game. Samohi defeated Covina’s Gladstone High on Wednesday in a wild card game to qualify for the first round. Samohi finished the regular season in third place in the Ocean League. Norwalk placed first in the Suburban League.