Can an independent like me, who voted for Obama in 2008, even consider voting for a presidential candidate with this background?
1. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, thanks to his father.
2. Family wealth comes from questionable business activities including targeting certain businesses for “reorganizing and refinancing.”
3. Attended private schools and Ivy League universities.
4. Lavish family vacation homes.
5. Believes that lowering personal tax rates (even on the rich) stimulates economic growth.
6. Believes in lower corporate tax rates as a way to stimulate the economy.
7. Devoutly religious (in a religion some people are uncomfortable with).
9. Pro-military hawk.
Oh, wait. Did you think I was referring to the background of Mitt Romney? No, no, no. I‚Äôm talking about the background of democratic icon John F. Kennedy.
In addition to the similarities above, Romney and JFK also have these things in common: both served in public office before running for president and both have large close-knit families that actively participate in many philanthropic endeavors.
So Democrats and independents, if you would have voted (or did vote) for JFK, maybe Mitt deserves a second look. As an independent, I‚Äôm looking.