Unfrozen Music: Architects in Concert
Shimahara Illustration, an architectural illustration and animation studio located in Santa Monica, CA, is hosting our 5th annual Unfrozen Music Concert featuring a collection of musicians from the architectural community!
We are currently accepting applications from musicians who work within the architectural industry who would like to perform in the Unfrozen Music Concert.
Please forward a sample of your performance and musical talent to Celeste Bliven at
2601 Ocean Park Blvd. Ste. 206
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Submissions due by Monday, August 26th, 2013
Unfrozen Music will be held on a Saturday evening in late October (Date TBD by August 1st ) at the Santa Monica Library’s Martin Luther King Jr. Auditorium. Doors open at 6:30, performance runs from 7-9pm.
- It is our commitment to create an artistic expression for our architectural community, as a musician for Unfrozen Music, we are requesting that you work in the architectural industry.
- Each musician must accompany their performance with an image, images or video that will visually tie together the intersection of music and architecture. (AV equipment will be provided.)
- Unfrozen Music is a free event open to the public, all musicians who participate will be volunteering their time and talent.
- Each performance should be no longer than 10 minutes including set up and interview time with the MC.
In your submissions please be sure to include:
- Your name
- Contact information including your email address and phone number
- Name of your musical piece
- Your instrument(s)
- A brief bio on yourself as a musician, including your firm and role in the architectural industry
- Your audio sample—you can either send us a CD or guide us to a video posted on the web like soundcloud, youtube, vimeo etc.
The annual concert series, created by Craig Shimahara of Shimahara Illustration, is named Unfrozen Music in reference to a quote from nineteenth century German theorist, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who said, “Architecture is “frozen music”… Really there is something in this; the tone of mind produced by architecture approaches the effect of music.”
“Architects are passionate people, and that passion often pours out through multiple channels of expression.” said Craig. “After listening to an architect play a violin solo, it’s fun to imagine what kind of buildings he or she might design.”