File Your DBA
Fictitious Business Name or DBA
Prior to opening a business, a business name must be selected that is not already in use and then registered. Business and Professional Code 17918 specifies “No person transacting business under a fictitious business name contrary to the provisions of this chapter, or his assignee, may maintain any action upon or on account of any contract made, or transaction had, in the fictitious business name in any court of this state until the fictitious business name statement has been executed, filed, and published as required by this chapter. For the purposes of this section, the failure to comply with subdivision (b) of Section 17917 does not constitute transacting business contrary to the provisions of this chapter.State law requires that within 30 days the registrant must publish a statement in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the principal place of business is located once a week for four successive weeks. For more information regarding Fictitious Business Names go to www.lavote.net.
Use the Santa Monica Daily Press to File & Publish Your DBA
In order to open a business account with a bank, protect your business name from being used by someone else, and to be entitled to action in any court in the State of California you will need to file and publish a DBA.
County Clerk Recorder’s Office Filing Fees:
- $26.00 for one business name and one business owner
- $5.00 for each additional business name at the same location or additional owner
Santa Monica Daily Press Publishing Fees:
- $65.00 to publish your already filed DBA and file a proof of publication.
- $195.00 includes applicable County fees to have SMDP file your DBA with the County, publish it for four weeks, and file a proof of publication.
If you already filed your DBA:
- Fax your DBA to 310-576-9913 and include your name and phone number. When we receive it we will call you and take credit card payment over the phone. If you have a smartphone, you can take a photo of your application and email it to us at email@example.com.
- LAST MINUTE, NEXT DAY PUBLISHING: We can publish your DBA the next day if we receive it by 3pm. $25 rush fee applies.
If you want us to file/publish your DBA for you:
- Download the Fictitious Business Name Statement by clicking here.
- When filling out the paperwork please type it or write in black ink and make sure there are no scratch outs or white out as the county will not accept it.
- Drop it off or mail it to the address below, copies of the original will not be accepted.
- For more information call us at (310) 573-8354 or come by our offices from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. The address is: 1640 5th St, Suite 218, Santa Monica, CA 90401